At Carlton Primary School, we strive to provide thoroughly engaging experiences for children throughout the school so that they can read, write and speak fluently, communicating their ideas and emotions to others. Through our reading curriculum, we take every opportunity to offer an experience that opens a door and immerses every child into a world of captivating, high quality texts.
Through the Talk for Writing Process, we provide constant and consistent high quality opportunities within reading, writing, storytelling, poetry, drama and discussion.
Our Aims for English at Carlton Primary School are:
- To provide a language-rich environment that promotes a culture of reading and writing;
- To develop in pupils an interest in and a love of books and literature that will not only support their learning across the curriculum but also enrich their lives;
- To value and use books as a basis for learning and pleasure.
- To teach children the craft of writing and empower them with vocabulary in order to develop the confidence and skills to write well for a range of purposes and audience;
- Teach the basics – grammar, spelling, handwriting and punctuation – to liberate creativity;
- To foster in pupils the confidence, desire and ability to express their views and opinions both orally and in writing;
We are committed to ensuring that all children make excellent progress in their knowledge, skills, understanding and general confidence.
We strongly believe that there should be no ceiling placed on children’s learning. Furthermore, that all pupils are given the opportunity to exceed expectations and their potential, demonstrating “Mastery” of English where they are able. At Carlton Primary School, we consider “Mastery” to be the ability to read, write and communicate with a greater depth of understanding.